CultEx - The First Step
Writing #1: This assignment is your initial foray into your topic and is designed to elicit first responses, preconceptions, and encourage interest and ownership.
“Wade as if it were deep.”
What should it include?
● A rationale for your choice of topic, expanded upon from your topic declaration form. Comment on your level of interest in your text: has it changed?
● A discussion of your first text, which you should have completed reading and/or rereading. You should consider any or all of the following questions:
○ What are the big ideas of the text?
○ Which handful of specific topics, issues, or ideas did you mull as you read or are you still mulling after reading?
○ Which elements struck you as most compelling or interesting?
○ Did anything surprise you about the text or challenge your preconceptions about your topic or the type of text?
● This discussion should include details such as quotes from the text that support your exploration of ideas or elements of the text. Show me that you engaged with it. Your discussion must be analytical in nature but you may ask questions or explore ideas; you need not make clear conclusions.
What form should it take?
● 500-750 words typed, doublespaced.
● Share with me via Turnitin.com and bring in hard copies for each member of your writing group.
● Informal in style and form—this is a conversational think piece, not a formal essay. It will not be graded for language or form but simply on its completeness and thoughtfulness