Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Additional Biography Sites
Academy of Achievement
Academy of Achievement The Academy of Achievement is a unique nonprofit foundation that brings students into direct personal contact with pre-eminent leaders. Under the “Achiever Gallery” section of the site, biographies, profiles, and interviews are featured on the organization with leaders from the arts, business, public service, science and exploration, and sports. The site also provides links to podcasts and resources for teachers.
BBC–History: Historic Figures
BBC–History: Historical Figures The British Broadcasting Company’s website provides an A-to-Z list of selective concise biographies on famous and notable historical figures for site visitors to explore.
A searchable site with information on noteworthy people.
Biography in Context
Information about influential people. Search for people based on name, occupation, nationality, ethnicity, birth/death dates and places, or gender, as well as by keyword and full text.
Encyclopedia of World Biography
A broad range of brief biographies of notable people.
Famous Native Americans
Famous Native Americans from Biography.com
"Part of the large Infoplease.com site, this boasts over 30,000 biographies of historical and contemporary figures.
Search by name or one of the categories (sports, presidents, vice presidents, entertainment, people in the news, business leaders, world leaders, and deaths in the current and previous years). Information varies from minimal to detailed."
Legacy.com is one of the leading companies in the online obituary market, hosting more than 20 million obituaries worldwide. In addition to searching obituaries by name or keyword, the site includes regularly updated biographical sections such as “Obituaries in the News” and “Legends and Legacies.”
National Women's History Museum Biographies
Includes biographies of varying lengths. Some, such as the biography of Clara Barton, include lists of resources for additional information as well as a list of works cited.
Online Encyclopedia: African American History, People
Part of BlackPast.org, this site provides short biographies of individuals who "have contributed to the shaping of African American history." Entries are brief, but each includes a citation to the source from which the information was obtained.
PBS.org—Biographies and Profiles
On PBS.org, visitors can explore historical biographies and profiles from a wide variety of PBS programs, including documentaries, feature films, and interviews about famous people or historical figures.
Biography Questions (from World Book)
- When was the person born?
- Where did the person live?
- What did the person look like (physical attributes, etc.)?
- What is the person’s educational background?
- What did the person do to become famous?
- What is known about the person’s childhood and family life?
- What other events are known about the person’s life?
- What was happening in the time/area the person lived?
- What key events in the person’s life do you think influenced him or her to make the decisions he or she made?
- What abilities did the person possess?
- How were/are other people influenced by the person?
- What people influenced the person to do what he or she did?
- What did other people have to say about this person during the time he or she lived? How about later?
- What did you learn from the life of the person?
- Is the person still alive? If not, how and when did the person die?
- What is the person’s legacy?