Make sure you give credit to all of the sources that you used in your paper!
In MLA7, you must list the publication medium (print or web) after the publication information. MLA7 abbreviates all months except for May, June and July.
Book: Last, First M. Title City: Publisher, Year Published. Medium
Journal: Last, First M. "Article." Title Series Volume.Issue (Year Published): Page(s). Medium
Magazine: Last, First M. "Article" Title Date Month Year Published: Page(s). Medium
Newspaper: Last, First M. "Article" Title [City] Date Month Year Published, Edition, Section: Page(s). Medium.
THE FIRST STEP…
The first thing that you need to do in order to complete a successful research project is the RESEARCH. We will discuss how to take notes in class. The following headings and questions can help you organize your note cards.*the topics below are only a guide. They may work with your person, but they may not, you might not be able to find some of the information, and that is okay.
QUOTE: Somewhere in your essay you must include a quote from the famous person and tell its significance.
· When was your person born?
· Where was your person born?
· Where did your person grow up?
· Did anything eventful occur during your person’s childhood?
· Did your person go to school?
· What type of home life did your person have?
· Who were your person’s parents?
· Did your person grow up with his/her parents?
· Did your person have any brothers or sisters?
· Are there any other family members that influenced your person?
· What type of relationship did your person have with his/her family?
· Was your person married? If yes, did the spouse play a major role in their life?
· Did your person have any particular strength?
· Did your person do anything that changed the course of history or influenced it in any way?
· Did your person win any awards?
· Did your person do anything great that other people talked about? For example, write a book?
PROBLEMS / OBSTACLES
· Did your person face any personal challenges during his/her life?
· How did your person respond to these problems?
· Was anyone else involved in these issues?
· Was there an end to the problems that your person faced?
END OF LIFE
· How and when did this person die?
OTHER THINGS TO CONSIDER
· In what ways was the life remarkable, despicable, and admirable?
· What human qualities were most influential in shaping the way this person lived and influenced his or her times?
· Which quality or trait proved most troubling and difficult?
· Which quality or trait was most beneficial?
· Did this person make any major mistakes or bad decisions? If so, what were they?
· Many people act out of a "code" or a set of beliefs which dictate choices. It may be religion or politics or a personal philosophy. To what extent did your person act by a code or act independently of any set of beliefs? Were there times when the code was challenged and impossible to follow? Or, people act in such a way that goes against a set of beliefs- in what way did your person act that went against what we consider to be moral and just?
· What do you think it means to be a hero? Was your person a "hero?" Why? Why not? How is a hero different from a celebrity? Or was your person someone that history looks down upon. Why and do you think all people feel the same as you?
Notes due: tba
Portrait due: tba
Famous Person Report due: tba
Outline due: tba
Final Project due: tba
If you would like to use our databases outside of school. You will need usernames and passwords!